Woman shot dead by police after car chase from White House to the Capitol

U.S. -

A shelter-in-place order was issued by Capitol Police after gunshots were reported outside the U.S. Capitol building in Washington, DC.

Circa News
Copyright 2014 Reuters
Copyright 2014 Reuters

"A vehicle in the vicinity of the White House apparently tried to pass a barricade. Shots were potentially fired. [Officers] pursued the vehicle. The vehicle struck one of our vehicles… and ultimately ended up at 2nd and Maryland Avenue NE, where it crashed into one of our barricades. We have no information that this is related to terrorism or is anything other than an isolated incident." Kim Dine, U.S. Capitol Police chief

Police confirmed that a woman driving a black Infiniti died after being struck by police bullets. A 1-year old child was also in the car, but officials said she was in good condition and in protective custody. Police said they were "pretty confident" that the incident was not an accident.

From the vehicle's registration and a driver's license found at the scene, law enforcement identified the deceased suspect as Miriam Carey, 34, a dental nurse from Stamford, CT. Family confirmed she had a one-year-old daughter. Carey had suffered postpartum depression and had a history of mental illness.

Grace Funeral Chapel

The family of Miriam Carey held a funeral at 10am ET in Brooklyn, NY. A public viewing and wake was held a day before, along with a prayer vigil in Washington, DC. Carey is survived by her one-year-old daughter.

A video captured by Arabic-language news channel Al Hurra at Capitol Hill shows police shooting at a black vehicle, the car then takes a turn and is pursued before going out of the camera's view.

A police officer was injured during the chase when his vehicle crashed and is reported to be "doing well." A Secret Service member was also injured, but in good condition, officials said. Capitol Police lifted the lockdown at around 3pm ET.

Stamford, CT, USA

The FBI executed a search warrant later in the day at Carey's Stamford, CT, home according to Michael Pavia, the city's mayor. Authorities later said Carey thought President Barack Obama was monitoring her electronically.

"What I do see is that perhaps maybe my sister was a little afraid being surrounded by officers with their guns drawn. My sister was fleeing. She was trying to figure out how to get out of there." Valarie Carey, sister of Miriam Carey

Valarie said in an interview on NBC's "Today" show that she and her sister Amy Carey-Jones did not believe Miriam was delusional. Carey-Jones said she believed "things could have been handled a lot differently" and that "there was maybe another story than what we're being told."

View citations for this storyline

Read this storyline and more on Circa for iPhone

Now available in the App Store

What is Circa? Get the App